Friday, October 12, 2012

Back to School and Birthday Baking

After a busy two weeks of school holidays I thought I better fill the tins ready for making school lunches on Sunday night (it is usually the last thing I want to do on Sunday night and so if there is no baking then often no sweet thing for the lunch box).

This baking may look a little bizarre as it ended up experimental flavour wise. I made a coffee cake for Aaron's Birthday Cake. Very successful as usual, a batch and a half of afgans and a double batch of yoyo biscuits. (the yoyo's are yet uniced). Once all had cooled I set about icing the cake. Coffee icing - pretty standard- but I made way tooooooo much coffee icing.

That is when experimenting came in. First we tried a bit of yoyo with coffee icing, it was ok but drowned that lovely subtle custard flavour. Then the light bulb moment - coffee icing on afghans - it is a moccachino!!! Coffee and chocolate always go well. So another round of trying and we were all happy.

So all set for the birthday tomorrow and all ready for the school routine.

4 comments:

  1. Can I be your adopted daughter. I love home made baking. You are awesome. Love Dian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Dian. You are my extended family - you are part of my church family. Love you. God Bless. Karen

      Delete
  2. Yummy! It all looks delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off...this post looks so yummy. I want you to pack my lunch!!
    Secondly, thank you for commenting on the blog scraping post I did...very much appreciated. There wasn't an email address attached to your comment, so I wanted to leave a note here.
    Thanks again,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I love that you took time out to comment on my blog.

A gorgeous break in Rarotonga

Woo hoo, A holiday with no kids for 11 days. Bliss, relaxing and warm! BTW it was an early 20th wedding anniversary present to ourselves....