Thursday, December 19, 2013

The best Christmas fruit mince pie pastry

Christmas fruit mince tart
Today I made my first (and probably last) batch of Christmas mince pies. They are always so successful, this pastry is short, crispy but melts in your mouth. There is a long story to how I got the recipe as it had been a closely guarded secret by one of Aaron's aunties. My MIL was very put out when I got the recipe as she had been trying to get it for about 30 years!!!

I made my Christmas fruit mince on Tuesday as it is so easy to whip up in the food processor. Today I made one lot of pastry which resulted in 3 1/2 dozen fruit mince pies. yum.

So I have decided to share the recipe:

Aunty Lorraine's Christmas fruit mince pie pastry

3 Cups flour
1 Cup icing sugar
2 Tablespoons custard powder
1 large egg yolk (today I used two yolks just because I felt like it)
375g soft butter

Put all into the food processor and process until it starts forming balls of dough. NB this dough is very soft. Do not add any more flour but flour the bench and rolling pin well.

Roll out fairly thin and cut etc. Bake 180oC for 15-18 minutes. It should be turning golden but NOT brown.

Have a Merry Christmas. I link to these places

7 comments:

  1. Yummy, they look great. Haven't made any this year, but there is still time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharing the family secret!! Not a fan of mince pies but i love a good pastry :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might cheat and buy some mince and whip up a batch. Lala will love cutting out the stars for the top. That is funny about your Auntie not sharing with your MIL - families huh! Also - thanks for commenting on my blog - I went to reply, but you are a no reply blogger. Did you know that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did - I have it on my about page. Long story but can't be changed. thanks

      Delete
  4. awesome timing- was just wondering what recipe to choose for making the rest of my MINI fruit mince pies, as I'd run out of...STORE-BOUGHT pastry! Thank you so much - will make this tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen. I haven't had a fruit mince pie yet this year and am saving myself for Christmas Day but I could go for one of yours. The pastry looks buttery and delicious. Just wanted to say thank you so much for your support on the blog and your friendship. It means the world to me. Its been so great getting to know you. Merry Christmas to you and your family and here's to a prosperous 2014.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I love that you took time out to comment on my blog.

A gorgeous break in Rarotonga

Woo hoo, A holiday with no kids for 11 days. Bliss, relaxing and warm! BTW it was an early 20th wedding anniversary present to ourselves....