Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Cheats Dairy Free Apricot Shortcake

I wanted to bake something for Jess as it is exhausting having little babies. As Jess is also dairy free now to see if that will help Alex with his reflux, I needed to think outside the square. Well I cheated. Instead of spending ages adapting a recipe I took the easy route and dashed to the supermarket and got a margarine that is made with olive oil - hence diary free. Oh my goodness, did you know that some of the promoted "healthy" margarines made with Olive oil cheat and have milk solids in them. I was really surprised and read labels very carefully. So good old Olivio was the only one I could guarantee to be diary free.

Then all I had to do was replace the butter content with the Olivio margarine. Simple, easy and it worked really well.

My diary free shortcake recipe:
4oz Olivio
1/2 cup castor sugar
mix those together well. Then add
1 egg and beat. Then add
3/4 cup plain flour
3/4 cup self raising flour

This is a very soft dough. I do not roll it out as it causes problems being so soft.
Grease the tin you are putting it in (I used a foil disposable tin so Jess doesn't have to worry about returning things). Press half the dough into the bottom of the tin.

Drain a decent sized bottle of home preserves (I used apricots for Jess and blackboy peaches for our one). Give the juice to the kids to drink and put the drained fruit into your baking tin in a even layer. Flour your hands well and flatten the remaining mixture in between your hands and place on top of the fruit - trying to give even coverage. Bake 180oC about 30 minutes. (I check it every 5 minutes after 25 min of cooking).
Hey presto and yummy

1 comment:

  1. Oh if I could be so practical. You are such an clever lady. Dian.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I love that you took time out to comment on my blog.

A gorgeous break in Rarotonga

Woo hoo, A holiday with no kids for 11 days. Bliss, relaxing and warm! BTW it was an early 20th wedding anniversary present to ourselves....