Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Christmas biscuit production line


Nice shiny finish with royal icing
















Over the last two nights I have made a massive batch of Christmas themed and decorated biscuits. It all started last night when I rang my sister at 8.40pm on Tuesday and asked her for the recipe she always uses. It is the biscuit recipe from Hummingbird Bakery cookbook. I looked at the clock and thought it was not so sensible to bake biscuits, my sister told me not to. So I did it and made a double mixture. Baking of them all only took about an hour.

But today the icing has been an exercise in patience. I have always intended to use Royal Icing to ice biscuits and make them look smart, as I had seen an article in the Good Magazine on how easy they are to do, but never had. Next time I will do it on a small batch!!! It was fun to start with but then just laborious. I piped an outside white line as I wanted a smooth royal icing finish and so it needed to ooze a bit and I did not want it oozing out the sides. I used a number 2 piping nozzle and it was slow. Then I had to make the colours and fill the biscuits in. At 8pm tonight the boys came to my rescue and put all the silver dots on as I was seriously getting over it.

So now I have the baking for Eli's class shared Christmas morning tea,  a good plate of biscuits to take to the Christchurch Bloggers Christmas get together (so long as Aaron's plane gets in on time) plus for any other thing I need.

Jakob is now asking where the Christmas Mince Pies are. So I guess that is next on the list.

I link to these places.

8 comments:

  1. Good job! way more complicated with the white edging than I would contemplate creating - what an outstanding effort

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I year you! I did heaps for my eldest girls last day of kindy in January... fun at first, but... they looks great though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! they look great! good on you for making the effort :) I bet Eli would be so proud to hand these in for shared morning tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well worth the effort- they look yum : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. is this a free recipe on the blog, my search didnt find anything..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thanks for asking. I have not typed the recipe in sorry as it is in the book and it is my sisters. I do not even know the name of the recipe. The Good Magazine suggest using sweet short pastry instead of making a biscuit recipe and that works too. I have just been testing my blog search tool and it is not working , so have removed it and will work on getting it fixed. Thanks

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I love that you took time out to comment on my blog.

A gorgeous break in Rarotonga

Woo hoo, A holiday with no kids for 11 days. Bliss, relaxing and warm! BTW it was an early 20th wedding anniversary present to ourselves....